Saturday, September 03, 2005

Something on my mind...

After reading through the weightwatchers forums, the bloggers journals and talking to people about weightloss in general, I have decided that the term 'Goal Weight' has become rather foggy.

As a registered weightwatcher, I set myself a goal weight of 66kg that at the time seemed rather unachievable yet it was within the healthy weight range of someone my height (167cm) and seemed reasonably far enough away that to get there would be a challenge. So 66 is my number, my GW, a number I think about a lot, probably too much.

But then came another number. 63.5. Now that one has taken up residence in my head. But I wonder why? Why couldn't I stay at 66? Well for me, 63.5 happened naturally as my motabolism was still adjusting and during my 6 week maintenance I followed the books and lost some more, then gained some and then stabilised at 63 - 65kg. So I count is as more of a re-assesment of my weight than a decision to go less, but I then realised that I can gain up to 2kg at TTOM so sitting on goal may see me constantly trying to 'lose' as opposed to learning how to maintain properly.

So here's the thing. I used to think that it's odd that people who have not experienced weightloss set 2 goals at the beginning of their weight watchers journey, but now I've worked out why and I'm a bit appalled since it seems to be a bit of a marketing ploy or something. I'm talking specifically about the ww program now. I think that by only having a 1kg 'buffer' zone between being considered 'at goal and 'not at goal' is rediculous. Weight watchers acknowledges that 'normal' stabalised weight can fluctuate up to 1-2 kg, particularly for women at TTOM. So why 1kg? Is it simply to get that extra $14.95 whenever the opportunity comes along?

I think that only having the 1kg is the reason for people setting 2 goal weights at the begining. 1 goal they think they can mantain and 1 goal that they really want to be. It's concerning me too, that people who (like me) only set a single goal and realise they probably have to lose about 1-5 kg more in order to avoid paying at the monthly weighins. It's bloody hard trying to ensure your weight does not go over your goal by 1kg when you are at your goal. Does this make sense?

I think it's really bad of ww not to see that having such a strict limitation can see people getting obsessed about their weight.

I, like most, have decided that my 63.5 "PGW" gives me enough room to move if I have a big weekend or am sick or am too busy to exercise. Basically, I would go nuts trying to 'maintain' my ww Goal weight if I was satisfied with 66.

All that said, what do you guys think? Do any fellow weightwatchers actually 'maintain' at their WWGW or do you all deliberately hover under it?

I'm also curious about the other girls who are still to reach your ww goal - to you actually want to be less but have set the number with a saftey zone?

Would love feed back on this post.

Thanks. Cath.

12 Comments:

At Saturday, September 03, 2005 4:08:00 pm, Blogger Suzy said...

Luckily (in some ways) I didn't actually join WW, I just followed the program. I made my goal weight 65kgs as my healthy weight range for my height is 57-66kg. I decided to see how I felt and looked once I reached that weight and it seems to be right for my frame size and age. I don't have to worry about being officially under goal weight as I don't pay to go anywhere, but my body has naturally adjusted itself to between 63 and 64kgs for the last almost 4 months while I have been maintaining. I think it is very hard on people to make them think they need to be many kilos under their ideal weight just so they don't have to pay a fee. It seems to put extra unnecessary pressure on them.

 
At Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:02:00 pm, Blogger Mary said...

Ooohh, good questions and I want to give you some meaty answers but let me think about it. I'll get back to you. This is important.

 
At Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:23:00 pm, Blogger Me said...

I honestly believe that WW is out for their extra $14.95. When I joined WW in Australia I had approx 10kg to lose and my goal weight was set at 65 or 66kg (I can't remember which - I am 167cms tall). I got to 67kg and just couldn't seem to shift the last 1-2kgs. So after paying and paying I asked them to change my goal as that was what I was maintaining at and I was happy with how I looked. They, rather begrudgingly, did - I got the impression that they really didn't want to as it meant I would keep on paying.
Well I wasn't able to maintain as I didn't stay at meetings, didn't go to weigh etc and eventually went back at 86.1 with 19.1kgs to lose this time.
I am now 1.6kgs away from my goal - 0.6 away from not having to pay but I think that a 2kg buffer would be more reasonable just because of the weight differences that you can have during the month. I would like to be about 58-60kgs but I know that I just can't get to or maintain that weight and so I have accepted the higher goal and am happy that I look healthy and not skeletal.
I will be doing my best to maintain at 67 when I get there - something that I know my journal and the support I have in this forum will help me do.
I think that it is so easy to obsess about a number - I am hoping to be able to stay at a weight that finds me comfortable in my clothes and happy with how I look and if it means I have to change the number for whatever reason - I will do what I need to.
Hope this helps - take care and have a great week !
Me

 
At Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:32:00 pm, Blogger michelle said...

My goal weight seem sto far away and impossibl eto achieve so I haven't given it a lot of thought. I do think that your GWw should be wahtyou wnat it to be and are happy at not what some book/table dictates.

 
At Saturday, September 03, 2005 10:03:00 pm, Blogger Margaret said...

Like Slim Suzy, I am not officially going to ww, but following their points system as a tool to teach myself what I need to do to both lose weight, then eventually maintain. However, I feel that all the weight loss heavy weights (pun intended LOL) - ww, jenny c, sure slim, etc there is a huge emphasis on the money side.

Now I am not against any person or company making money, far from it, but I do believe that the range for fluctuations and goal maintance should be increased to allow for normal cycles and for balance in your head. There is enough pressure on looks and weight without these companies, who are supposed to promote a healthy life choice and healthy mind, putting more pressure on.

You raised some great points Cath. :)

 
At Sunday, September 04, 2005 9:18:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't go to meetings, so I don't need to worry about ongoing costs. I started the WW@home programme and purchased all the points guides etc, but I refused to renew membership after my 12 weeks as I have enough motivation and determination to keep this up myself, as well as the tools. I set my goal weight at the top of my healthy weight range, because I have absolutely no idea what I will feel like when I get there, if I will be comfortable at less or what. When I find the place that my body is most comfortable then that is what I will use as my personal goal weight.

 
At Sunday, September 04, 2005 5:15:00 pm, Blogger CaramelKitKat said...

Hiya Cath,

Let me preface w: I am definately not at goal weight and am not doing ww. However, I was a ww member in 2002 and thought of all this while following the program.

Thankfully, I had a great leader who, while I weighed 92kg, took into account my 58-72kg goal range and said "Set your goal weight at 72kg. By the time you get to it you will know what you're doing with the program and can just come back for free visits while you get to the lower weight that you actually want." If I went back to ww, that's the approach I would take.

It's just a number and the significance it has is up to me. Easier said than done so let us know if you come up with a way!

 
At Monday, September 05, 2005 10:10:00 am, Blogger Leighanne said...

At the town club I go to the people who have reached goal weight (graduates) need to stay within 1.5 above or under goal weight - we also have our goal weight determined by our own doctor - so if we feel we are not happy with the number we have, we can go back to the doc to work out what is better for us:)
Hope this makes sense!

 
At Monday, September 05, 2005 7:46:00 pm, Blogger mango said...

WW like any other weight-loss regime is still a profit-making organisation. Sure, they are one of the better, healthier and more supportive ones but at the end of the day they want to make money, and I'm sure that setting the goal weights at x or whatever play a part in that.

Still, it's great to hear people talking of nice leaders who work around the guidelines WW sets for the benefit of their members! That's great.

 
At Tuesday, September 06, 2005 11:07:00 am, Blogger Mary said...

My goal weight is 75kg. I think I feel comfortable at this weight. Now that I am close, and my naked weight is 75kg, I want to tone up and focus on my fitness. I've been told that I will probably lose a few more kilos then and in this case, my absolute minimum would be 70kg. I guess this is why I chose two goal weights. It's more like my range that I am happy to stick within (75-70kg). I want to give myself a 5kg buffer but I also want to stop paying $16.95 each week too.

I think the WW 1kg buffer is a little tight and should be one or two more but I don't think they're that strict but they do need to have a guide in place. I agree, you can get crazy if you take it too seriously but I am going to personally give myself a 5kg buffer and if that means they want to start charging me again, well....I don't have to agree. I made it now and will continue to keep it off with my healthier lifestyle. WW was only a means to get here and I am not too fussed about the Lifetime Membership now.

 
At Tuesday, September 06, 2005 2:47:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with what you are saying. I feel as if a range of 2-3 kg would be more acceptable. My weight can fluctuate quite a bit in a range of 1 - 1.5kilos. I'm close to goal but have well and truly plateaued. I've now set a PG of 2 kilos above the WW goal which is probably fine (as I'm no spring chicken now) but I still have to pay when I weigh. You have raised some good points.

 
At Tuesday, September 06, 2005 3:35:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem as you. I didn't plan it, but happened. My WW goal is set at 64, I decided that some weeks after joing WW (the meeting I go to who decides your goal is you). What happened? I got there, stopped paying but kept going to meetings to loose another 4 kilos and reach my personal goal - 60kg. Now I am 61kg, I still go to meetings but don't have to pay and hopefully I will get to my 60kg!!
I recommend doing it at least till WW recognize a bigger range as your goal weight - I have saved a lot of money and gave myself a 4 kg range to play with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home