Detox - Day 9 & 10
I made it!
Just this evening to get through and then I can tick the 'detox' thing off my ever-growing "to do" list. I'm pretty pleased with myself - that feeling when you stick to something and finish it is very satisfying.
Days 9 and 10 have been good. I feel great, and my skin has improved. I haven't lost that much weight - may be a kilo, but it's hard to tell 'cause I have my period and I always weigh more during this time of the month.
So, here's a summary:
Over the last 10 days I have NOT indulged in: Coffee, tea, milk, meat, chocolate, bread, wheat based pasta, white rice, sugar (other than that in fruit or in the soy products I've eaten), cheese (except goats cheese, which I was allowed), alcohol, softdrink or any of the normal little packaged products I usually eat.
I have INCREASED intake of vegetables & fruit, water, tofu, nuts (except peanuts), oats, fish and soy products.
Mistakes I made during detox included adding salt to some meals, accidentally drinking juice with added sugar, and not planning well enough so that I had food on hand when I actually got hungry. I also don't think I drank quite enough water.
As a result of all of this, I suffered headaches (I suspect caffeine withdrawal) initial lack of energy which lasted about 6 days, and a little hunger when I I didn't plan my meals.
Do I recommend it?
This is a toughie - I did this detox to kick-start my weightloss routines again, a bit of 'forced discipline' to regain consciouness over my food choices. This has certainly worked. I don't recommend starting a detox without researching your food options and planning for a fairly anti-social 10 days - the diet is extremely restrictive and it's hard to modify menued meals when most foods are off limits. I kept it simple and cooked for myself every night bar one, where I had fish and steamed vegies at the pub.
The hardest thing: Giving up bread! I eat it everyday for at least one meal, and the substitutes don't really work for sandwiches. Having to plan every meal carefully was also difficult, especially work lunches as there wasn't much I could buy if I forgot my lunch. I had fruit and nuts only some days!
The best bit: I have found a new food to enjoy - soy milk! I love it and think I will have it in my fridge more often from now on.
Overall: I feel good but that could be my attitude. Now I have to get used to counting points again!
Anyway, I'm off to watch the box and eat my dinner - a recipe that I found on the biggest loser site (in kristys blog):
Eggplant and Feta
Sliced Eggplant (1 cm thick - salt and rinse first)
Feta Cheese
Garlic
Olive Oil Spray
Balsamic Vinegar
Place onion, garlic, oil spray & vinegar on eggplant. Sprinkle with feta and bake in medium oven.
Yummo!
Night folks.

2 Comments:
Well done Cath! I am so super proud of you. You really stuck to it and what an achievement. Great results too.
Oooh, the dinner sounds yum. I do something similar but with zucchini instead of eggplant under the grill, yum!
Way to go Cath. It is so cool that you completed what you started. So often we make promises to everyone, and only break those that we make to ourselves. Now you are clear, and clean and ready to keep going down the healthy path.
You sound so pumped!! 1kg is a great result :D
Post a Comment
<< Home