Feeling unhealthy
It's easy for this journey to be deemed a success or failure based on the scales alone. But this week I have realised that not only am I putting on weight, but I'm also starting to feel unhealthy.
My posts have been few and far between for the last 4 or 5 months. Possibly the best explanation for this is that I'm feeling like a bit of a ww fraud. I have had a few weeks here and there were the drive to get back on track is strong and fulfilling, but mostly I have put back on any weight I've lost a few weeks later. I've been desperately hoping the motivation will come back, but so far it hasn't.
Today I feel lethargic, depressed, flat, heavy and tired. My skin looks crap, my body fat percentage is about 30% (right on the borderline for women), and I kinda wobble on my tummy, butt and legs when I walk. I just don't feel right.
Part of my initial success on this weightloss journey was due to the 'high' I felt when I knew I had done all the right things - I could literally tell if I had lost or not based on how I felt at the end of the week before I weighed in. I used to enjoy my walks and get a bit irritated if I missed them for a day or too. I used to have a lot more energy and a lot of drive. I miss all this.
I sometimes manage to convince myself that my lifestyle has changed enough not to allow me the liberty of being as selfish as I was during that first year. I was single, I was living with strangers, I didn't have to consider anyone but myself. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted. I worked 8:30 - 5:30 - my routines were focused around losing the lard. 2002 was MY year.
I need a new strategy. I need to turn all the changes that have occurred into a mechanism for getting back into shape and feeling healthy and positive again.
I'm working on it. Yesterday I went for a walk. I stepped on the scales and weighed myself: 66.1kg, 30% body fat. I need to improve both of these figures through sensible eating and regular exercise, not binge-dieting and late nights.
But knowing what to do, and actually actioning on this knowledge are two different things entirely.
I'll keep you posted!

7 Comments:
I've often wondered what my body fat % is. I think if I found this out it would shock me, and hopefully encourage me to step it up a notch and actually do all that I have planned to do in a day.
You aren't a fraud. Just someone who has a lot going on and needs the time and space to lay it out and work out how to fit it all in. You are important and it is not selfish to want to be healthier. Being a healthier you physically means the healthier you mentally is able to support more of your family. And that's good for everyone.
Have a great week Cath and you've got me thinking about carrot t-shirts now LOL. Thanks for the encouragement :D
Hi. Cut down your spending today and become slim for once! Log on to my blog to find out more! firdaus-towards-success.blogspot.com
Hope you feel better soon. I am in the same boat as you with no motivation and, even though I am looking, can't seem to find it anywhere. Hopefully when Al gets back from Taiwan, he will bring some back with him !
I think measuring your body fat % is a great way to monitor how you are going. I am with you on the 'high' that I used to feel when I first started and was doing things correctly - I need to get that feeling back. Maybe we should try to find a way to capture that feeling so that we can bring it out at times like this when we are battling.
Know that you are not alone in this and that we are here to support you as much as we can.
Take care and have a great week !
Me
Hope you feel better soon. I am in the same boat as you with no motivation and, even though I am looking, can't seem to find it anywhere. Hopefully when Al gets back from Taiwan, he will bring some back with him !
I think measuring your body fat % is a great way to monitor how you are going. I am with you on the 'high' that I used to feel when I first started and was doing things correctly - I need to get that feeling back. Maybe we should try to find a way to capture that feeling so that we can bring it out at times like this when we are battling.
Know that you are not alone in this and that we are here to support you as much as we can.
Take care and have a great week !
Me
You are definitely not a fraud and you can do this, get back on track and feel better both inside and out. You've had a pretty busy time of late and this can lead to no planning and the hell with it all but I reckon you can beat it. I know you can beat it! Let me know if you want to catch up for a weekly walk or something and then we can thrash stuff out. Be good to yourself babe and remember that I'm only around the corner :-)
Hey Cath. How did you find out your body fat%? Do you have scales that measure that or do you use calipers? I have been googling to find out how to do it and am thinking a new set of scales might be in order but am interested to hear if you have one, what sort, do you like it etc.
Hoping that your week is progressing well :D
Definately not a fraud. Having the weight loss switch always "on" is no way to live and clearly there's a well-kept secret to finding the balance - now if someone would just bloody well tell you!! (Think yourself fortunate that you're not me - soooo far to go and the switch too often "off"!)
Post a Comment
<< Home